Monday - Saturday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM, Sunday 1:00 - 5:00 PM
Open May 1 - September 30
Welcome to Old Bradford Pioneer Village, located on highway 346 next to the Little Brown Church in the Vale east of Nashua, Iowa. Stroll thru the village to learn what life was like in the pioneer days. Visit a log cabin, one-room school, cottage, general store, Dr. Pitts Office, toy shop, church and even the jail.
In 1836 Bradford was an Indian Trading Post, and Chief Bradford was the leader. As the white men moved in the trading posts were taken over and turned into thriving towns. At one time Bradford was the County Seat boasted a population of 1,000 and had a grist mill and sawmill on the nearby Cedar River. There were four hotels, general stores, blacksmith shop, and school. A large brick building was built to house Bradford Academy, one of the first academies in the State of Iowa. It was the equivalent of a high school and many of its graduates returned to the east coast to attend college. William S Pitts, composer of "The Church in the Wildwood" in reference to the Little Brown Church was the music director at the academy.
When the railroad chose to bypass Bradford and instead go through nearby Nashua and New Hampton, it marked the beginning of the end of Bradford. The town disappeared by the early 1900s. However - YOU can still learn about Bradford today by visiting the museum and village.
Old Bradford Pioneer Village is a project of the Chickasaw County Historical Society. Be sure to join us for the Battle of Old Bradford Civil War reenactment each year, on the Saturday & Sunday after Mother's Day.
Tour fee: $5 for adults, $3 for children in grades K-12